Recent News Stories

  1. Goodbye Mr. Loser makers sue online film critic
  2. Surprise is box office surprise in China
  3. Inside Men continues reign in South Korea
  4. Keeper of Darkness holds top spot in Hong Kong
  5. The Fourth Direction wins top prize in Singapore
  6. Inside Men wins third weekend in South Korea
  7. Ho Yu Hang pulls trigger on Mrs. K
  8. Ko Chun-hsiung (1945-2015)
  9. Mass resignations at Taipei Film Festival
  10. Martian orbits atop China box office
  11. Kitarajanipon wins Hawaii Audience Award
  12. Inside Men fends off newcomers in South Korea
  13. APSA returns awards to Asia
  14. Bona reports lower profit in 2015 Q3
  15. LeTV, cinemas clash over Vanished Murderer
  16. Wallace Chung debuts as director with Sandglass
  17. Hara Setsuko (1920-2015)
  18. Ha Jung-woo and Bae Doo-na enter Tunnel
  19. Local youth fares top Japan box office
  20. Hunger Games finale inflames Greater China
  21. Ode to My Father tops Grand Bell Awards
  22. Inside Men wins South Korea box office
  23. Taiwan takes back spotlight at Golden Horse
  24. Iwai Shunji wraps Rip Van Winkle
  25. Goodbye Mr. Loser team sues film critic
  26. Mozu wins second weekend in Japan
  27. Spectre leads China box office
  28. The Priests remain strong in South Korea
  29. Manang Biring wins animated Cinema One
  30. GTH to split into founding companies
  31. Choi Yong-bae to head BiFan festival
  32. Mozu tops Japan box office
  33. Yuen Woo-ping, Tsui Hark remake Miracle Fighters
  34. EX-Files sequel romances China box office
  35. The Priests possesses South Korean cinemas
  36. Honor Thy Father to open Cinema One Originals
  37. Curtailed Taipei box office data resumes
  38. Hualien withdraws from public listing
  39. Kai Ko to make comeback in Midi Z film
  40. Emperor, Wanda to adapt Higashino Keigo novel

Asian censorship update


Asian censorship update

By Patrick Frater

Tue, 13 November 2012, 12:59 PM (HKT)


Policy/Legal News

Australia
Australia has banned the release of North American horror comedy Father's Day, about a man intent on avenging his father's killing. The film was directed by Adam Brooks and produced by Canada's Astron-6, with global distribution by Troma Entertainment.

The Australian Classification Board gave the film a "refused classification" notice on 31 Oct, denying it permission to screen commercially or at the Monster Fest organised last week by its Australian distributor Monster Pictures.

The ACB put the film into the category of those that "depict, express or otherwise deal with matters of sex, drug misuse or addiction, crime, cruelty, violence or revolting or abhorrent phenomena in such a way that they offend against the standards of morality, decency and propriety generally accepted by reasonable adults to the extent that they should not be classified."

Malaysia
Release of local film Tanda Putera (pictured) was indefinitely delayed by the highest echelons of the Malaysian government last week.

The film was made by woman director Shuhaimi Baba and produced by her Persona Pictures company with partial funding from government film support agency FINAS. It deals with the aftermath of the 13 May 1969 incident, which saw rioting between the country's Chinese and Malay populations and some 200 people killed.

"Certain scenes depicting the May 13, 1969 tragedy were questioned by many quarters," Information, Communications and Culture Minister, Rais Yatim said, explaining that the cabinet felt that the screening should be deferred for the good of the society.

State news agency Bernama said that Yatim had been asked if certain scenes could be reshot. "I do not think so. I think there will be a meeting between the film director and Finas to evaluate the movie," Bernama reported.

Baba is a respected film-maker, and has been honoured by the state, though she is familiar with trouble. It took four years for her film Pontianak to receive script approval from FINAS. The 2004 film is often considered the first Malaysian horror film of the modern era.

Singapore
Singapore's Communications and Information Minister Yaacob Ibrahim told Parliament that the recent banning of Ken Kwek's Sex.Violence.FamilyValues was an isolated case.

The satirical comedy that deals with race issues was initially passed for release with a Mature 18 (M18) rating, but that was later raised to Not Allowed For All Rating. He explained that after receiving public complaints about bad language in the film's trailer, the Media Development Authority called for a second opinion from the Films Consultative Panel.

Twenty of the panel's 24 members voted to ban the film. "Only four members felt that the film could be allowed under an R21 rating. None of them agreed with MDA's initial M18 rating," Dr Yaacob said.

The film distributor can appeal for a final decision to the Films Appeal Committee. Director Kwek has begun an appeal against the ban.


Sign up with your email address for our free weekly newsletter: