Recent News Stories
- The Second Coming closes deals
- No Man's Land has strong China opening
- Singapore IFF to be relaunched in 2014
- Japanese film-makers protest state secrets bill
- Live-action Attack on Titan relaunched
- South Korean films break local admissions record
- White Storm defies Gravity at China B.O.
- Local documentaries strong at Taipei B.O.
- SPEC finale dethrones Kaguya at Japan B.O.
- In Bloom takes top prize at Tokyo Filmex
- Talent Campus Tokyo awards Filipino project
- Huace strikes pact with Guo Jingming
- Miike Takashi to adapt psycho-thriller manga
- Ang Lee awarded by Cinemanila
- Grandmaster leads Asia-Pacific award nominations
- Yukisada Isao adapts Five Minutes in China
- Great Passage tops 38th Hochi Film Awards
- Dexter Studios opens Beijing office
- Lupin III live-action film coming in 2014
- Fist, Z Storm, Taoist scripts approved by SAPPRFT
- Ant Story premieres in AsiaAfrica competition
- Ghibli back on top with Princess Kaguya
- APSA to host public screenings
- Gravity starves Hunger Games at China B.O.
- Hope wins through at Blue Dragon Awards
- ASEAN Film Festival launches in Singapore
- Beyond Beauty stays strong in Taipei
- Lost in Thailand secures Taiwan import quota
- Tiny Times 3 set to begin production
- Singapore, France major winners at Golden Horse
- Golden Horse Reflections
- RAM locks horns with Moebius
- On Happiness Road takes FPP Grand Prize
- Jimmy Yang joins kbro Media
- Golden Horse Awards at 50
- Forever Young release indefinitely postponed
- CatchPlay launches film investment fund
- Louis Koo to be HKIFF ambassador
- Tony Jaa joins SPL 2
- Hong Kong cinema's identity crisis
Asian finance for high stakes US thriller
By Patrick Frater
Fri, 20 July 2012, 11:54 AM (HKT)
Chinese financier E Stars Entertainment (巨星有限公司) and Indian-owned companies Reliance Entertainment and IM Global are backing Paranoia, a new Hollywood independent film that starts production today.
The $40 million film is a high tech corporate espionage thriller being directed by Robert Luketic (who previously directed 21). It stars Australia's Liam Hemsworth (pictured), Gary Oldman, Harrison Ford, Lucas Till (X-Men: First Class), Amber Heard (The Rum Diary), Embeth Davidtz (The Amazing Spider-Man), Julian McMahon (Nip/Tuck), Josh Holloway (Lost) and veteran Richard Dreyfuss.
The story follows a young technologist (Hemsworth) who, after a mistake, finds himself used like a pawn in a multi-million dollar power game.
Demarest Films, a financing and production company launched in April by Lambert Media Group's Michael Lambert, Sam Englebardt and William D Johnson, is co-financier and co-producer, while Beijing's E Stars Entertainment will co-finance. Paranoia will be distributed in the US by Relativity Media.
Paranoia is being produced by Alexandra Milchan of Emjag Productions, William D. Johnson of Demarest Films and Deepak Nayar of Kintop Reliance, Reliance's joint production venture with Kintop Pictures. IM Global CEO Stuart Ford, Scott Lambert of Film 360, Sam Englebardt of Demarest Films, Allen Liu of E Stars, Douglas Urbanski, Christophe Riandee of Gaumont, Ryan Kavanaugh and Tucker Tooley of Relativity Media will serve as executive producers. International sales are handled by IM Global.