Long-limbed drama is surprisingly moving without being a simple tearjerker.
Beginning of the Great Revival
Cameo-studded blockbuster is a notch down on Republic but still a savvy big-screen experience.
Flying Swords of Dragon Gate
Enjoyably retro swordplay antics, with a superb cast but a weak finale.
A B-grade monster movie wrapped up in an A-grade budget.
Han Gong-ju wins Wildflower Grand Prize
By Kevin Ma
Sat, 11 April 2015, 11:00 AM (HKT)
The critically acclaimed drama won the Grand Prize, and star CHEON U-hui 천우희 won Best Actress for her performance as a transfer student with a traumatic past.
HONG Sang-soo 홍상수 | 洪常秀 won the Best Director – Narrative prize for comedy Hill of Freedom 자유의 언덕 and PARK Chan-kyong 박찬경 won the Best Director – Documentaries prize for Manshin: Ten Thousand Spirits 만신 (2013). LEE Yong-seung 이용승 won Best New Director for office drama 10 Minutes １０분 (2013).
In addition to the ten prizes, the award committee also gave out two Special Commendations: The Appreciation Award for JEONG Sang-jin 정상진, CEO of ArtNine 아트나인 indie cinema and a Special Jury Award to SHIN Min-a 신민아 | 新慜娥 for her performance in ZHANG Lü 張律's Gyeongju 경주.
The nominations were determined by a selection committee made up of 25 Korean independent film viewers. The selection committee as well as selected programmers and critics then voted on the winners.
2ND WILDFLOWER AWARD WINNERS
- Grand Prize: Han Gong-ju
- Best Director — Narrative: Hong Sang-soo; Hill of Freedom
- Best Director — Documentaries: Park Chan-kyong; Manshin: A Thousand Spirits
- Best Actor: An Jae-hong; The King of Jokgu
- Best Actress: Chun U-hui; Han Gong-ju
- Best Screenplay: A Girl at My Door
- Best Cinematography: A Dream of Iron 철의 꿈 (2013)
- Best New Director: Lee Yong-seung, 10 Minutes
- Best New Actor: CHOI U-shik 최우식, Set Me Free 거인
- Best New Actress: KIM Su-an 김수안; Mad Sad Bad 신촌좀비만화 (Picnic)
- Appreciation Award: Jeong Sang-jin
- Special Jury Award: Shin Min-a; Gyeongju