Recent News Stories
- Killers to premiere at Midnight in Sundance
- The Second Coming closes deals
- No Man's Land has strong China opening
- Singapore IFF to be relaunched in 2014
- Japanese film-makers protest state secrets bill
- Live-action Attack on Titan relaunched
- South Korean films break local admissions record
- White Storm defies Gravity at China B.O.
- Local documentaries strong at Taipei B.O.
- SPEC finale dethrones Kaguya at Japan B.O.
- In Bloom takes top prize at Tokyo Filmex
- Talent Campus Tokyo awards Filipino project
- Huace strikes pact with Guo Jingming
- Miike Takashi to adapt psycho-thriller manga
- Ang Lee awarded by Cinemanila
- Grandmaster leads Asia-Pacific award nominations
- Yukisada Isao adapts Five Minutes in China
- Great Passage tops 38th Hochi Film Awards
- Dexter Studios opens Beijing office
- Lupin III live-action film coming in 2014
- Fist, Z Storm, Taoist scripts approved by SAPPRFT
- Ant Story premieres in AsiaAfrica competition
- Ghibli back on top with Princess Kaguya
- APSA to host public screenings
- Gravity starves Hunger Games at China B.O.
- Hope wins through at Blue Dragon Awards
- ASEAN Film Festival launches in Singapore
- Beyond Beauty stays strong in Taipei
- Lost in Thailand secures Taiwan import quota
- Tiny Times 3 set to begin production
- Singapore, France major winners at Golden Horse
- Golden Horse Reflections
- RAM locks horns with Moebius
- On Happiness Road takes FPP Grand Prize
- Jimmy Yang joins kbro Media
- Golden Horse Awards at 50
- Forever Young release indefinitely postponed
- CatchPlay launches film investment fund
- Louis Koo to be HKIFF ambassador
- Tony Jaa joins SPL 2
Sng starts the meter on Taxi! Taxi!
By Patrick Frater
Wed, 11 July 2012, 11:45 AM (HKT)
The tale is an adaptation of the book Diary of a Taxi Driver: True Stories From Singapore's Most Educated Cabdriver, adapted from an English-language blog written by CAI Mingjie 蔡明傑, a scientist who became a cab driver.
The story pitches together a well-educated but down on his luck driver with a more working class cabbie who is struggling with the responsibility of bringing up his family. The two men, who start off as rivals, but become best buddies, are both keeping secrets from their families.
The lead roles are played by local comedians Mark LEE 李國煌 and Gurmit SINGH, who previously collaborated on 2001 sports comedy One Leg Kicking 一脚踢 (2001). Other cast includes Jazreel LOW 劉琦, GAN Mei Yan 顏薇恩, CHUA Jin Seng 蔡景森 and Royson ONG 王俊雄.
Taxi! Taxi! is being made on a budget of S$1 million (US$790,000) with financiers including Singapore companies SIMF Management, Galaxy Entertainment 星際娛樂, sglanded.net and Widescreen Media Pte Ltd, alongside Malaysian pair RAM Entertainment Sdn Bhd and PMP Entertainment.
Distribution in Jan 2013 will be by Golden Village Pictures Pte Ltd in Singapore and RAM Entertainment in Malaysia.