Sony, Universal merge Aus video operations
By Patrick Frater
Wed, 07 September 2011, 12:01 PM (HKT)
Universal Pictures and Sony Pictures are to fold their home entertainment operations in Australia into a new joint venture company that will operate from February next year.
The move is designed to improve efficiency of service, but also reflects the realities of a shrinking DVD market and will lead to job cuts.
The new company will be run by Jim Batchelor, currently MD of Universal Pictures International Entertainment in Australia and New Zealand. Both companies will maintain their own acquisitions and marketing teams within the new structure.
The joint venture does not affect the two companies' home entertainment operations in New Zealand, nor film distribution in Australia and New Zealand.
Recent News Stories
- Radius reaches out for Man of Tai Chi
- Webber to bring Colour to NZ
- Can India fulfil its film potential?
- India's multiplex maybes
- Fox Star to back Kashyap's Velvet
- Asian trio head for Paris Project
- Mili in Wuhan animation park pact
- Roadshow buys into Irresistible
- Third Window opens for Sake Bomb
- Badges gets worldwide jurisdiction
- Shanghai has action-packed competition
- American Dreams beds down in China
- Shenzhen shorts to travel the world
- Thailand: Good times, bad times
- Malaysia studio set to have regional impact
- Cannes deals update
- Kapadia to shoot Azeri tale
- Filipino festivals show funding flair
- NHK presents the future of film in 8K
- Dubai to host Cinematic Innovation Summit
- Varma promises urgent action
- Media Asia slate sells strongly
- Iceman defrosts at Cannes
- Kashyap to receive French honour
- Seven Stars forms Angel Storm
- So Young enters China's all-time top ten
- Rocket to fire in N America
- Japanese buyers grab Euro titles
- Directors' Fortnight denounces director
- Yen, Yeoh commit to Crouching Tiger prequel
- Bona profits slightly lower
- Why isn't Australia more part of Asian film?
- Pegasus rides with Z Storm
- Tanweer signs Relativity output deal
- Jeffrey Soong: Media Asia's Man on the Move
- Media Asia takes step In The Dark
- EMP to get Best of Yen
- Buyers burning for Firestorm
- Woo to deliver two-part Crossing
- Tokyo festival outlines new direction