Recent News Stories
- Singapore IFF to be relaunched in 2014
- Japanese film-makers protest state secrets bill
- Live-action Attack on Titan relaunched
- South Korean films break local admissions record
- White Storm defies Gravity at China B.O.
- Local documentaries strong at Taipei B.O.
- SPEC finale dethrones Kaguya at Japan B.O.
- In Bloom takes top prize at Tokyo Filmex
- Talent Campus Tokyo awards Filipino project
- Huace strikes pact with Guo Jingming
- Miike Takashi to adapt psycho-thriller manga
- Ang Lee awarded by Cinemanila
- Grandmaster leads Asia-Pacific award nominations
- Yukisada Isao adapts Five Minutes in China
- Great Passage tops 38th Hochi Film Awards
- Dexter Studios opens Beijing office
- Lupin III live-action film coming in 2014
- Fist, Z Storm, Taoist scripts approved by SAPPRFT
- Ant Story premieres in AsiaAfrica competition
- Ghibli back on top with Princess Kaguya
- APSA to host public screenings
- Gravity starves Hunger Games at China B.O.
- Hope wins through at Blue Dragon Awards
- ASEAN Film Festival launches in Singapore
- Beyond Beauty stays strong in Taipei
- Lost in Thailand secures Taiwan import quota
- Tiny Times 3 set to begin production
- Singapore, France major winners at Golden Horse
- Golden Horse Reflections
- RAM locks horns with Moebius
- On Happiness Road takes FPP Grand Prize
- Jimmy Yang joins kbro Media
- Golden Horse Awards at 50
- Forever Young release indefinitely postponed
- CatchPlay launches film investment fund
- Louis Koo to be HKIFF ambassador
- Tony Jaa joins SPL 2
- Hong Kong cinema's identity crisis
- Yamazaki Takashi to adapt Parasyte
- Golden Horse Talent: Hou Hsiao-hsien
Star says OK to new movie channel
By Patrick Frater
Thu, 03 May 2012, 09:05 AM (HKT)
News Corp's STAR TV group is to launch a second Hindi-language film channel in India from this weekend (6 May 2012).
The new channel, Movies OK is targeted as a family-oriented channel and is the second network to drop the Star brand in favour of OK. Star will continue to operate STAR Gold.
"The clear cut differentiation will be the way one treat's content and Movies Ok will be packaged differently from Star Gold. We have a library of over 1,000 movies. A typical operator of a movie channel needs at least 250 movies to run it," said Hemal Jhaveri, GM of STAR Gold, who moves over to head the new channel. "Specialisation is the way forward for the Hindi movie channels."
The sector is very competitive as India has some 15 movie channels, but their combined share of the market continues to creep upwards.