Warner to remake Unforgiven in Japan
By Patrick Frater
Mon, 20 August 2012, 22:38 PM (HKT)
Warner Bros is to produce a Japanese remake of Unforgiven (pictured), an Oscar-winning Western classic that was originally directed by and starred Clint EASTWOOD.
The new film will be directed by LEE Sang-il 李相日 and star WATANABE Ken 渡辺謙. The story will be relocated to late 19th century Hokkaido with Watanabe playing a fearsome, impoverished samurai who is tempted back into action one last time.
The project boasts numerous quirky personal connections and coincidences.
Eastwood spent virtually his entire directing and producing career based at Warner Bros. Warner is the most active local producer in Japan among Hollywood studios. Eastwood and Watanabe previously worked together on Letters From Iwo Jima (2006), which Warner released in many international territories. And Eastwood's early acting career received a major boost when he starred in A Fistful of Dollars, a remake of KUROSAWA Akira 黒澤明's Japanese classic Yojimbo 用心棒 (1961).
Recent News Stories
- Radius reaches out for Man of Tai Chi
- Webber to bring Colour to NZ
- Can India fulfil its film potential?
- India's multiplex maybes
- Fox Star to back Kashyap's Velvet
- Asian trio head for Paris Project
- Mili in Wuhan animation park pact
- Roadshow buys into Irresistible
- Third Window opens for Sake Bomb
- Badges gets worldwide jurisdiction
- Shanghai has action-packed competition
- American Dreams beds down in China
- Shenzhen shorts to travel the world
- Thailand: Good times, bad times
- Malaysia studio set to have regional impact
- Cannes deals update
- Kapadia to shoot Azeri tale
- Filipino festivals show funding flair
- NHK presents the future of film in 8K
- Dubai to host Cinematic Innovation Summit
- Varma promises urgent action
- Media Asia slate sells strongly
- Iceman defrosts at Cannes
- Kashyap to receive French honour
- Seven Stars forms Angel Storm
- So Young enters China's all-time top ten
- Rocket to fire in N America
- Japanese buyers grab Euro titles
- Directors' Fortnight denounces director
- Yen, Yeoh commit to Crouching Tiger prequel
- Bona profits slightly lower
- Why isn't Australia more part of Asian film?
- Pegasus rides with Z Storm
- Tanweer signs Relativity output deal
- Jeffrey Soong: Media Asia's Man on the Move
- Media Asia takes step In The Dark
- EMP to get Best of Yen
- Buyers burning for Firestorm
- Woo to deliver two-part Crossing
- Tokyo festival outlines new direction